It is regrettable that despite our criminal justice system, innocent victims
suffer untold injuries and suffering as the result of criminal conduct.
Criminal and traffic laws require or forbid certain actions or behavior.
The consequence to an accused of violating a criminal law is punishment,
including a loss of freedom and liberties. The consequence to innocent
victims of criminal conduct is needless physical injury, property loss,
and psychological torment.
Our civil justice system affords criminal victims an additional avenue
for the recovery of damages and losses against those who have victimized them.
Legal claims involving crime victims can involve complex legal and technical issues.
The following are a few important legal, factual and evidentiary matters
that should be considered when evaluating a claim.
- When, where, and how did the crime occur?
- Did the crime occur at home, at work, while traveling on a common carrier,
or at a business?
- Were there witnesses to the crime?
- Was the crime immediately reported to the police?
- Did the crime involve a minor?
- Do you know who committed the crime?
- Did the crime involve someone you know?
- Did the crime involve a family member or friend?
- Did the crime involve a stranger?
- Did the crime involve a person with a criminal record?
- Did the crime involve a weapon?
- Did the crime involve a gun?
- Did the criminal activity involve violation of a protection order?
- Could better security measures have prevented the crime?
- What are the nature and extent of all injuries?
- Have all medical bills been paid?
- Will future medical care be required?
- Are there funds or assets to satisfy a successful civil claim?
It is important that an experienced legal team evaluates your crime victim
claim. Complex legal, factual, and evidentiary issues may be involved.
If you, a loved one, or friend are injured in a crime, you should take
immediate steps to protect their interest. Do not compromise your rights
by making statements to the press, insurance investigators, potential
defendants, their representatives, and do not sign anything. Consider
the suggestions in our
accident guide, and call us immediately. We are here to help.
Newport News Personal Injury Attorneys Serving All Hampton Roads Cities
At Larry King Law, we recognize the unique issues pertaining to your claim.
You can call us at 757-209-2265 seven days a week, 24 hours a day, every
day of the year. You can now contact us now on this web site by calling
or using our Personal Injury
Contact form. We are committed to doing the extra things it takes to help our clients.